How to Apply
As a UK national resident in Portugal, after the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, you are asked to exchange your current EU residence document for one that confirms your status as a resident under the Withdrawal Agreement.
Using SEF’s new Brexit Portal, register for a new card.
Please follow these steps:
- You are a UK national;
- You have a valid passport.
- You have a residence document issued by the Portuguese authorities – EU Citizen Registration Certificate issued by the Town Hall or Permanent EU Citizen Residence Certificate issued by SEF.
If you already have a user account registered with SEF (at www.sef.pt), log in here with that account. Otherwise register at this Portal (step 2).
Introduce the following data:
- an e-mail address;
- number of your residence document, i.e. your EU Citizen Registration Certificate or your Permanent EU Citizen Residence Certificate;
- date of birth;
Choose a password (Your Password must have at least 6 characters, including, at least, one special character, one lowercase, one uppercase and one number) and repeat it in the “Confirm password” field;
Your account will be verified by sending a validation link to you by email.
Check your email inbox and confirm the registration.
On the form, your identification and address will appear.
If needed, you can update the following data:
- Telephone number (optional).
You will also be asked for the number, validity and country of issue of your Passport.
If your child already has their own residence document in Portugal (European Union Citizen Registration Certificate or Permanent EU Citizen Residence Certificate), you must authenticate them in their own right on this Portal.
However, if your child has never had a residence document in Portugal, you can include them in your registration.
To include a minor in your registration, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are the child’s parent or guardian;
- You are over 18 years old;
- The minor must:
- be a UK national;
- be under 18 on 31 December 2020;
- not have a Portuguese residence document;
- have a valid passport;
- not have already been registered by another parent/guardian.
Later SEF will notify you by email about scheduling an appointment to provide your biometric data (photo, signature and fingerprints) that will appear on your new residence permit.
The appointment will be held at a Town Hall that offers this service. You can choose a date and time for your appointment from the available slots in the Town Hall that is offering this service closest to your residence area.
You will also be able to manage your appointment by re-scheduling or cancelling it, if necessary.